The Sylvia Center often focuses on whole grains in our recipes, yet we forget about flavor. Many children and adults are hesitant to try whole grains, especially in baked goods. However, this Double-Chocolate Teff Brownie is both a familiar comfort food and a way to expand horizons with a new, nutrition-packed grain. Dutch-processed cocoa powder gives this recipe a deep chocolate flavor. And with chocolate chips in every bite, it is sure to please even the most avid chocolate lovers.
If your children love getting messy mixing up a batch of these brownies, parents will be thrilled to find out about the excellent nutrition teff provides. This tiny grain, native to Ethiopia, is ground whole, providing all the nutrition from each layer of the grain. Teff is naturally gluten-free, provides more calcium than most grains, and has triple the amount of iron than wheat. It is also rich in antioxidants and a great source of protein and fiber. The flour adds a nutty flavor to this brownie that pairs well with rich chocolate and a dash of almond extract. Although not a common grain, teff flour can be purchased in many grocery stores, co-ops, or online. Our families agree that this recipe could replace your go-to brownie recipe and is delicious a la mode!
Double-Chocolate Teff Brownies
Makes: 12 brownies
1 cup teff flour
¾ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 large eggs, room temperature
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8”x8” pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together teff flour, cocoa powder, and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar and extracts. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add dry mixture to the wet with a spatula. Stir until combined but do not overmix. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.
*Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to four days or refrigerate for up to one week.