Forget about boxed pancake mix and learn how to make it from scratch today! Follow along Chef Destiny with her nephew and niece as they make this easy homemade blueberry pancake recipe.
With only a few ingredients that you may already have in the kitchen, you can make your own pancake batter. The rolled oats give added fiber and flavor to the pancakes. Everyone in the family can help with this recipe and can even choose their own toppings for the pancakes to make them even more delicious!
Thanks for watching! To see more videos like this, check out our website. Stay healthy and keep cooking!
Oatmeal Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes
Yield: 14 pancakes
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup low-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Combine rolled oats with 1 cup of hot water in a bowl, and set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the buttermilk and whisk together. Then whisk in the vanilla and the oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and quickly whisk together. Do not overbeat; a few lumps are okay.
- Drain the hot watjer from the oats, and stir in the milk. Fold in the oats and milk to the batter.
- If necessary, spray the hot griddle with pan spray. Drop by 3 to 4 tablespoons onto the hot griddle. Place six or seven blueberries on each pancake. Cook until bubbles begin to break through, two to three minutes. Turn and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute on the other side, or until nicely browned. Remove from the heat, and continue until all of the batter is used up.
- Serve hot with a small amount of butter and maple syrup.