Do you know a great recipe for butternut squash? Learn how to make butternut squash chili with Chef Doreece. She shows us her mise-en-place skills and knife cuts for cooking butternut squash chili. Share with us what you make. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash and Bean Chili
1 large onion, diced, any variety
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce, minced (adjust to personal preference)
1 small butternut squash, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1, 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice (diced or crushed can be used)
1-2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels (can corn can be used)
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney or black beans, rinsed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Optional additions for serving:
Cooked brown rice, tortilla chips or cornbread
2 cups shredded cheese
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
4-5 scallions, chopped
1 lime, sliced 8 ways for squeezing
2-3 avocados, sliced
½ lb spinach, fresh or frozen
- In a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, sauté onions, bell pepper, garlic, butternut squash, and chipotle in adobo in oil until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice and vegetable broth and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add more broth if necessary.
- Stir in cilantro. Serve on its own, or with additions of your choice.
Get creative! Share with us what you make.
Click here for more pantry staple recipes page.