Compost Grain Cookies
Makes about 32 cookies, depending on how large you make them
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla, optional
1 ½ cup of flour, preferably 1 cup all purpose and ½ cup whole wheat
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or a bar, chopped into pieces
Compost add-ins *choose the ingredients you like the best, up to about 1 cup total
Seeds: raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower
Coarse grains: coarse cornmeal, polenta or quinoa
Small grain or small seeds: millet, poppy seeds, flaxseed
Crackers: crushed graham cracker, crushed pretzels
Dried fruit: raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and both sugars until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, if using, and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamy butter mixture and mix well.
- Add oats, chocolate, compost add-ins and fold in well.
- Spoon dough onto cookie sheet three inches apart, about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie.*See note for storage tip
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and still a little soft in the middle.
If you don’t want to bake all the cookies at once, scoop some onto a cookie sheet or plate, then freeze until solid and transfer to a freezer safe container/ziploc bag until you are ready to bake. They may take a few extra minutes to bake from frozen.