Yields about 5 cups
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flax seeds, sesame seeds, or a mixture of both
1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), hulled sunflower seeds, or a mixture of both
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of dried fruit, such as cranberries or raisins
Note: Mix and match the seeds depending on your preference and what you have on hand. You can also substitute your favorite nuts for the seeds.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Combine oats, seeds, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- To the oat mixture, add oil, sugar, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring the oats occasionally, every 7-10 minutes. You can adjust the baking time depending on if you prefer your granola chewier (less time) or crunchier (more time). Pay close attention during the last 5 minutes as the oats can quickly turn from toasted to burnt.
- Cool granola on a cooling rack, then add dried fruit.
Storage Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month at room temperature or 2-3 months in the freezer.