Follow along with Chef Selina’s virtual class where she will guide you how to make individual frittatas and a green salad with herb vinaigrette. These mini frittatas are perfect for quick breakfast or lunch that includes protein and so many different veggies to get your vitamins.The vinaigrette makes great use of any fresh herbs that you may have and complements the fluffy frittatas with a zesty flavor!
This is the 2nd week of The Sylvia Center’s Philmont Virtual Family Classes. Students learn to practice basic knife skills, proper sanitation techniques and personal hygiene related to being in a kitchen.
Individual Greens, Onion and Cheddar Frittatas
Makes 8-12 muffin tin sized frittatas
8-12 large eggs
⅓ cup milk, or water
2 large onions, diced
1 bunch of spinach or other green, chiffonade
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F*.
- Generously spray two muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat eggs and milk until frothy. Add 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, sauté the onions in olive oil until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the greens and mushrooms to the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
- Portion the vegetable mixture into each of the muffin cups.
- Add egg mixture to each cup, filling about ⅔ of the way full.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until eggs are fluffy and firm.
*To make a large frittata: Preheat oven to 400˚F. After step 4, add egg mixture directly to saute pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until top of frittata is nicely browned and eggs are set.
Be sure to use an oven-safe saute pan!!
Simple Green Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
1 package of mixed lettuce greens
1 lemon, or 2 tbsp vinegar (cider, red wine, balsamic)
1 tablespoon of mustard, optional
1 teaspoon of honey, optional
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt to taste (1/2 teaspoon for vinaigrette)
Fresh oregano and mint (1 tablespoon each)
Add your favorite vegetables if desired (tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots etc.)
- Wash and dry lettuce. Tear into bite size pieces with hands.
- Make vinaigrette: first put lemon juice, salt, oregano, mustard, and honey in a bowl and blending well with a whisk. Pour in olive oil slowly, continuing to whisk, until you reach desired consistency. Use a piece of lettuce to test for flavor and add ingredients until desired taste is achieved.
- Place lettuce in a big bowl and place 1-2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette down the sides of the bowl. Add herbs as well. Toss gently just before serving. Check for seasoning and add a small sprinkle of salt if needed just before serving. Enjoy.