This is Chef Selina’s family recipe that was passed down from her mother and grandmother. The two stars of this recipe are the cavatelli pasta and fresh broccoli. Not only is the broccoli vibrant and delicious, but it fills this dish with vitamin C and K which help give your immune system a boost and keep your bones strong!
Using fresh garlic and grated Parmesan cheese, this dish has so much flavor with only a few ingredients! Cook this dish with your mom or a special loved one this week in honor of Mother’s Day!
Clarification: It won’t be Selina’s mother’s last Mother’s day but last time as just a mom because she will be a grandmother soon!
Cavatelli & Broccoli
1 lb frozen or fresh cavatelli pasta
1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Salt, to taste and for cooking pasta
Black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. When the water is close to boiling, heat your oil in a large sauté pan. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Once your water boils, add the broccoli. Blanch, or cook quickly for about 1-2 minutes, just until bright green. Remove from water using a slotted spoon and add to garlic-oil mixture.
- Allow the water to come back to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package.
- In the meantime, add broth and butter to the broccoli mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until broccoli is tender (about 2-3 minutes).
- Toss in cooked pasta. Cook 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add cheese, and taste for seasoning. Serve immediately.