This recipe is a farm favorite! When students visit the farm, they explore every step of growing food: from seed to plate. Last week, after students explored the row crops and greenhouse, students, teachers and chaperones harvested fresh ingredients for lunch in the field house.
Students from Ichabod Crane Elementary School prepared Green Vegetable Fried Rice, featuring fresh asparagus, chive flowers, and peas from the garden.
Green Vegetable Fried Rice
4 cups cooked brown rice, cold
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
1 bunch asparagus, chopped
1 cup fresh peas
6 cups baby spinach/kale, chiffonade
1 bunch broccoli rabe, chiffonade
3 eggs, lightly whisked
5 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 bunch chives, minced
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over high heat. Add the scallions, garlic and ginger and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add peas and asparagus, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach/kale and broccoli rabe and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, or until greens have wilted.
- Make a hole in the middle of the pan by pushing veggies to the sides of pan and add eggs. Scramble eggs and then fold in with the veggies.
- Add rice to the vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the rice and vegetables evenly and stir until soy sauce is evenly coated. Fold in chives. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.