Have you ever walked past a bakery in the early morning and caught a whiff of the delicious treats being prepared? The intoxicating scent of freshly baked everything bagels known to New Yorkers ranks high on the list of our favorite smells. The Sylvia Center is keen on trying recipes that are altered for higher nutritional impact, so when one of our dietetic interns shared this recipe for homemade bagels, we had to try it. With only five ingredients, these can be made in minutes and finished with your favorite toppings. The most exciting aspect of these bagels is that they’re made with Greek yogurt, so the protein content is a lot higher than your ordinary bagel. If you’re wondering how these can possibly taste as good as bakery bagels, we can relate, but they truly are that good! Make a batch or two to reheat with a little butter or cream cheese and you’ll have an on-the-go breakfast for the week.
Homemade Higher Protein Bagels
Adapted from Skinnytaste
Makes 4 bagels
1 cup all-purpose flour (can use all-purpose, whole wheat or a mixture of the two)
2 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. kosher salt
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (all liquid removed from top)
1 egg white or full egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Any topping your heart desires (we used homemade everything bagel topping — see below)
Ingredients for Everything Bagel Topping
2 tbsp. white sesame seeds
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1.5 tbsp. dried onion flakes
1 tbsp. dried garlic flakes
1.5 tsp. flaked sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375° degrees and cover baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Add yogurt into dry ingredient mixture and mix together with a fork or spatula until well combined. The dough will look like small crumbles.
3. Lightly dust flour onto a work surface and knead the dough until it is tacky but not sticky in about 15 turns.
4. Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into ¾ inch thick ropes and join the ends together to form bagels. You can also roll into balls, flattening slightly, and poke a hole in the middle of the dough to form bagels.
5. Top with egg wash and any topping you prefer.
6. Bake for 25 minutes on the top rack to prevent bottoms from over-browning. Allow to cool before cutting.