Tallarines Verdes is a Peruvian style noodle dish packed with greens! Green vegetables provide many vitamins and minerals that are amazing for the body. Garlic and basil will give a strong burst of flavor while the cheese adds creaminess and adds a savory flavor. Blend ingredients into a smooth sauce and cook extra green vegetables like broccoli and spinach to add to the pasta. This dish is tasty and extremely nutrient-dense.
Peruvian Tallarines Verdes
Makes 8 servings
Cooking Equipment Needed:
2 large pots
1 mixing spoon
1 pound of whole wheat spaghetti
1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 cups of spinach leaves
1 cup of basil leaves
Ice (to cool spinach)
Add peas or broccoli
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup of whole milk
1 cup “queso fresco” in cubes
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Then add the spinach leaves and allow them to boil for 30 seconds. Using a strainer, remove them from the water and transfer immediately to an ice water bowl for a few seconds to preserve their green color.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to instructions or until al dente.
- Drain the excess water from the spinach and using a spoon or strainer place them directly into the blender with the cheese (both), milk, basil, garlic, milk and mix until you get a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce into a big saucepan at a very low temperature and add salt and pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and then mix it well with the sauce until all the pasta turns green.
- Garnish with basil and more “queso fresco” and serve.