This is one our favorite spring recipes from our ExpandED class. It’s refreshingly easy to make for a light family meal.
2 boxes of whole wheat rotini or penne
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bunch of asparagus, washed, trimmed, and chopped
1 package frozen peas, thawed
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Fill a small pot with an inch of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, then put chopped asparagus in the pot and cover. Cook for three minutes. Asparagus should still be slightly crisp but tender. Drain and let cool.
2. Sauté garlic in olive oil over low heat. Do not let it brown.
3. Add asparagus, peas, and parsley. Season with pepper but not salt. Remove from burner.
4. Return pasta water to the burner and bring back to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and then add pasta. Cook pasta at a boil for the time indicated on the package. Drain and reserve one cup of cooking water.
5. Turn the burner back on under the vegetables and add as much of the reserved cooking water as needed to moisten them. Now taste for salt and add more if necessary.
6. Combine pasta and vegetables in a bowl and serve topped with cheese.