This fun and delicious recipe with homemade flavors is a great start to introduce cooking with young people by working together and practicing kitchen safety! This recipe uses a pita bread as the dough for our pizza so no kneading is required. To make the marinara sauce, simply sauté garlic and onion in olive oil and then add crushed tomatoes. Bring it to a simmer and you will have a delicious homemade marinara sauce ready to go on top of your pizza! Top with cheese and other toppings of your choice, and bake in the oven. Today chef Destiny topped her pizza with spinach which adds vitamin K and iron which are nutrients to help keep your blood healthy.
Classic Pita Pizza
Makes 2- 6 inch pizzas
2 pita bread rounds
¾ cup of tomato sauce (recipe below, or store bought)
¾ cup of shredded mozzarella
Your Favorite Toppings, such as spinach, basil, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, olives
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Place pita breads onto a baking sheet, and spread them with the tomato sauce.
- Add the cheese and toppings, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Tomato Marinara Sauce
Makes 4 cups
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, minced, any variety
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Pinch of red chili flakes
2 tsp salt
1-28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add olive oil and onion. Saute 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add garlic, salt and chile flakes, saute another 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant but not browned.
- Carefully add the crushed tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
Greek Pita Pizza
1 package sandwich size whole-grain pita bread
1 cup of hummus, any type
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
6-8 radishes, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, diced
½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ bunch baby spinach (or 1 large handful), chiffonade
½ block feta cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pita breads on a baking sheet, and heat until warm and lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Top each pita bread with 2 Tbsp of hummus, sliced vegetables and crumbled feta.