Making pizza dough is simple and fun. This recipe is great to make with the family because everyone can take turns working the dough and topping the pizza with their favorite ingredients.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Makes 1 large or 2 14 inch pizzas
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour, divided
1 Tbsp instant yeast (1 packet of instant yeast)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
⅔ cup lukewarm water
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except ½ cup AP flour and olive oil.
- Turn mixture over onto a floured surface. If the dough is too wet, gradually add more flour. If too dry add water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic. It is important to not over knead the dough (divide in half if making two pies)
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel or clear wrap. Allow dough to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Spread out on a flour dusted sheet pan or roll dough out evenly and transfer to sheet pan.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!
- Gluten can develop greatly and form a stiff dough. A stiff dough will be hard to roll out.
- To freeze pizza dough, form it into a ball and place into a lightly oiled ziplock bag. Keep for three months.