Quinoa is an ancient grain from South America, and it is often called a superfood. It contains protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. For this quinoa salad, we are using two seasonal items: blueberries and corn. The other produce ingredients include bell pepper and green onion for added flavor and vitamins. The lemon juice, honey, and olive oil vinaigrette will give a vibrant taste while adding healthy fat and vitamin C to the salad. To top off your salad, we added walnuts for a delicious crunch!
Quinoa Salad with Corn & Blueberries
1 cup, Quinoa uncooked
1 teaspoon, Salt
2 cups Water
1 cup, Blueberries- washed and picked
1 cup, Corn Kernels
½ cup, Walnuts, chopped
1 each, Red Bell Pepper, small dice
3 tablespoons, Chives or Green Onions, small diced
Juice of 1 Lemon
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 teaspoon, Honey or Maple Syrup
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot add the water, quinoa and salt. Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until all liquid is absorbed- about 20 minutes.
- Spread cooked quinoa onto a small sheet tray in a thin layer to cool. Set aside.
- De-seed and dice red bell pepper. Slice green onions or chives on a small bias.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and cracked black pepper.
- Once quinoa has cooled to room temperature- add into bowl with dressing. Toss in the remainder of the ingredients. Taste for seasoning and it is ready to serve.