1 medium onion, diced, any variety
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups), any variety
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shredded fresh basil leaves
1 baguette or any other variety, sliced
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add olive oil. When it simmers, add the onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, another 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant and saute until the eggplant begins to soften, about 8 minutes. Add peppers and zucchini and continue cooking until the vegetables are bright and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and salt and let the vegetable mixture simmer until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Add ¼ cup of water if mixture looks dry.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400℉. Arrange sliced bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake 8-10 minutes, until slightly toasted.
- Serve ratatouille spread onto toasted crostini, topped with basil.