Through our Fresh Food Programs, local summer recreation program – Hudson Bluehawk Nation summer camp students made a visit to Katchkie Farm and the learning garden. Young people explored different crops like beans and lettuces and picked their own vegetables. For the hot summer day, they made rustic summer ratatouille and herb cucumber salad.
Rustic Summer Ratatouille
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add olive oil. When it shimmers, add the onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, another 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant and saute until the eggplant begins to soften, about 8 minutes. Add peppers and zucchini and continue cooking until the vegetables are bright and soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and salt and let the vegetable mixture simmer until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes.
- Serve over rice, pasta or on its own.
Herb Cucumber Salad
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced mixed herbs, such as dill, mint, or basil
1 tablespoon edible flowers
- Measure rice vinegar and salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumber and herbs.
- Toss to coat and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.