This recipe uses a unique cooking process because we will be baking our beets on top of a tray of salt. This will provide just the right amount of saltines while preserving the color, moisture, and nutrients of the beets. While the beets are flavored with a mixture of sweet and salty ingredients, it is topped with candied walnuts for a delicious, sweet crunch, while adding healthy fats to the salad. Top with queso fresco, for a salty and creamy flavor that compliments the sweet baked beets.
Beets contain valuable vitamins and minerals that your bodies need. Beets contain phytonutrients that have antioxidants, are anti-inflammatory, and support natural detoxification. They are a great source of manganese, folate, vitamin B2, and potassium Eating beets also help improve exercise capacity and enhance performance.
Salt Baked Beets with goat cheese and caramelized walnuts
Serves 2 people
6 medium beets
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
⅓ cup walnuts
3 tbsp sugar
⅓ cup goat cheese or queso fresco
½ tsp chile flakes
⅓ cup cilantro leaves
4 cups of salt
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven 400°F.
- Put the 4 cups of salt in a baking dish, sit the beets on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into a beet goes in easily. Set aside to cool and then peel the skin off the beets.
- Cut the beets into slices ½ inch thick and place in a bowl with the maple syrup, 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and set aside.
- While the beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a small pan and roast over medium heat, until they look golden and they are very aromatic, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the sugar in a small saucepan and cook over gentle heat. Do not stir as the sugar melts and starts to caramelize and turn golden, Carefully add the nuts, stir gently until they are coated, then put them out onto a bowl to cool. Chop the nuts.
- To serve, spread out the beet slices on a large platter, put the goat cheese on top, then sprinkle with the nuts. Finish with the chili flakes,l cilantro and drizzle the rest of the olive oil.