In our Upstate Family Class, students and parents prepared a Strawberry Galette to celebrate the joys of spring. The sweet strawberries are a perfect match to the flaky, buttery crust. It’s a perfect dessert to impress your friends or prepare with younger kids – in just 20 minutes! Recipe below.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled
1/4 cup of ice water (maybe more)
1 1/2 pounds strawberries hulled and half
4 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon flour
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. If using a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt until well-mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times until the butter is pea-sized. If mixing by hand, whisk together dry ingredients and then cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers until the butter is pea-sized.
3. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, combining after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump.
4. Turn out the dough onto a clean surface. Use your hands to form into a disc. Do not over-knead. Sprinkle with a little flour on all sides, wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
5. Toss strawberries with sugar and flour to coat.
6. Whisk the egg in small bowl and set aside.
7. On a lightly floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough to form a 12-inch diameter disc. Gently lift up the rolled-out dough and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
8. Arrange the strawberry pieces in a single layer in the center of the dough, forming about a 7- or 8-inch circle. Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling by about 2 inches all the way around. Use a pastry brush to coat the dough with an egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar.
9. Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet, over a rack, about 15 minutes before slicing.