Our Green City Force teens love to make this with youth in the summer. With fresh berries, it’s the perfect summer dessert — especially to celebrate the 4th of July!
Summer Berry Slump
1 cup all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter
⅓ cup whole milk
4 cups fresh blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
⅓ cup water
- Make the dumplings: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your clean hands, cut the butter into the flour until the flour resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir until the flour is just moistened. Handling the dough as little as possible, form into a ball. Set aside.
- In a 2-qt saucepan, add the berries, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest, and water. Heat until boiling, stirring a few times so that the berries are well coated with the sauce.
- Drop in the dumplings, lower heat to a simmer. Allow to boil for 25 minutes. Serve warm.