Serves ~8 1 cup portions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 bell peppers, diced
8 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
4 bay leaves
3-4 lbs potatoes, mixed variety such as red, yukon and russet
1 package frozen corn, or if available to use kernels from 2 cobs
3 green onions, sliced
1 bunch fresh herbs chopped (cilantro or parsley recommended)
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Plain Greek Yogurt
Whole wheat baguette
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, celery, carrots, peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to high and add vegetable broth ⅔ of the potatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Once the soup starts to boil, put heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer, and cover pot partially with a lid. Cook for about 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are starting to break down.
- Using a fork, mash some potato pieces against the side of the pot. This helps thicken the soup and create a stew-like consistency.
- Add remainder of potatoes, corn, green onion, and herbs.. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender and corn is cooked. Mash a few more potatoes, if preferred.
- Check for seasoning and add more if needed. Remove bay leaves. While soup is finishing up, start preparing your selected garnishes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice. Serve hot.