A fan favorite hummus recipe that all ages will love! This hummus is flavored with zesty herbs and lemon, and is full of so much protein! Sesame tahini gives the hummus a lovely creamy texture and great flavor. Amp up the flavor and texture of the hummus by slowly drizzling olive oil in while it is blending.
Add a dash of salt and pepper and you have homemade hummus that tastes like it came straight from the Mediterranean! Pair your hummus with homemade pita chips. All it takes is pita bread, olive oil, and a pinch of salt to make restaurant quality pita chips!
Lemon Herb Hummus
Makes 1 ½ cups
1 15-ounce can chickpeas
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste)
2 scallions or ½ bunch chives, chopped
¼ cup of fresh basil
1 tablespoon of fresh dill, rosemary or thyme
1 lemon, juice & zest
½ cup of olive oil
- Drain the chickpeas, but save some of the liquid from the can and set aside.
- Place chickpeas, garlic, tahini, scallions, herbs, lemon juice and zest in a food processor.
- Blend while slowly adding oil. Season with salt and pepper. If the hummus is too thick, add some of the saved liquid from the chickpea can.
- Serve with pita chips and vegetables for dipping.
1 package pita bread
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut pita bread into wedges, and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread pita on the baking sheet and bake until crisp and brown, about 15 minutes.