This is a different way to cook up your root vegetables that you may have never tried before! Simply grate up beets & turnips, add onion, breadcrumb, flour, eggs, and fry it in a little vegetable oil. Don’t miss out on the herby yogurt sauce for dipping – add fresh herbs and lemon zest to yogurt and enjoy a zesty sauce for your fritters.
Tip: Pan frying in a little amount of oil and adding fresh herbs instead of salt to the sauce keeps this meal nice and healthy!
Beet and Turnip Fritters
1 bunch of turnips, greens trimmed off
1 bunch of beets, greens trimmed off
½ cup flour
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic scapes, minced
½ tsp fresh herbs, like parsley, basil or dill, chopped
2 tsp salt
Vegetable Oil for frying
- Using a box grater or the grater attachment of a food processor, grate the turnips and beets into separate bowls. Squeeze out all extra liquid.
- In bowl, mix egg, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and herbs. Fold in turnip and beets. Sprinkle with flour and breadcrumbs, and fold to incorporate.
- Heat just enough oil to coat the pan over medium high heat, but don’t let it get so hot that it smokes. Carefully drop spoonfuls of batter into oil, pressing down and flattening with the back of the spoon. Cook for 2 minutes on one side, and gently flip and cook for another 2 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat for the remainder of the batter. Serve with yogurt sauce, below.
Makes 1 cup
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh herbs (mint, oregano, parsley, basil, etc), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Zest of 1 lemon
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Head over to our Virtual Cooking Class page to stay updated with upcoming classes you can tune in live!