Carrot and Apple Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
3 ounces carrots, grated (about 2 small or 1 medium carrot, we used rainbow carrots for added color!)
5 ounces apple, grated, any variety (about 1 small apple)
½ cup of brown sugar, light or dark
3 tablespoons white sugar
¼ cup of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
⅓ cup of unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup of flour, preferably ⅔ cup all purpose, ⅓ cup whole wheat
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or oil a cupcake pan (or line with paper cups).
- Peel (you can also leave the peels on if the produce is washed well) and grate the carrots and apples, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar. Add the yogurt, vanilla and melted butter and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, measure the dry ingredients: cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just combined. Fold in the grated carrots and apples.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake pan evenly. Bake until lightly browned on top and firm to the touch, about 18-20 minutes.
Stored in a tightly sealed container, baked muffins can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days, 1 week in the fridge, or 3 months in the freezer. To reheat from frozen, let come to room temperature, then gently warm in oven/microwave.