Try this spin on latkes with root vegetables paired with pear compote! The celeriac or celery root adds a slightly sweet flavor with the carrots and both give the latkes an extra crunch. This recipe has a nice balance of sweet and savory with all the spices; cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and a hint of freshly grated ginger in the compote. Enjoy!
Celeriac & Carrot Latkes with Spiced Pear Compote
Makes 16 2-inch diameter Latkes
Cooking Equipment Needed:
2 Mixing bowls
1.5- 2 pounds- Celeriac, peeled
2 medium Carrots, peeled
3 Green Onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
2 eggs, whisked
¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
¼-½ cup Vegetable Oil
3 Pears, peeled and small diced
3 ½ tablespoons Sugar
½ teaspoon, Ground Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon, Ground Coriander
¼ teaspoon, Ground Cumin
½ teaspoon, Ginger- grated
Juice of ½ of a Lemon
- In a medium mixing bowl, shred celery root and carrots using a box grater. Mix in green onions and 1 teaspoon of salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small sauce pot combine diced pears, sugar, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger, lemon juice, pinch of salt and ½ cup of water. Cook on low-medium heat on a low simmer. Stirring occasionally.
- Using a cheesecloth, clean towel or your hands, squeeze out the liquid from the vegetables and discard. Mix in eggs, cracked black pepper and flour to the vegetables.
- Heat oil in preheated skillet on medium heat. Scoop out desired size of latkes into oil, flattening with a spatula. Shallow fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown then flip to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain and continue process until finished.
- After about 30 minutes, remove pears from heat. The liquid should be reduced and the pears fully cooked through. At this point you can serve as is with the latkes or let cool for 8 minutes and blend until smooth.