This refreshing salad is perfect for summer time. It has notes of both sweet and savory flavors. The cherries add a nice pop of sweetness, and the fennel adds a delicious crunch. Our sweet and a savory dressing with dijon mustard and honey complements this salad perfectly. Last, but not least, the couscous is fluffy and perfect to make this salad more filling. Let us know what you think!
Cherry, Couscous and Fennel Salad
Serves 4 people
⅓ cup whole wheat couscous
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp honey
4 handful mix greens
2 big handfuls of cherries, pitted, halved and quartered
1 bulb of fennel, sliced
3 ounces goat cheese or queso fresco
⅓ cup shelled pistachios
Salt and pepper
- To make the couscous: Bring ½ cup water to boil in a small saucepan. Once it is boiling,. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the couscous, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the couscous with a fork , and add 2 tbsp of ole opil, ¼ tsp salt and some pepper. Set it aside for later.
- For the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey and salt and pepper to taste, add ¼ cup of olive oil slowly while whisking until emulsified.
- Toast the nuts in a skillet over medium low heat, toast the pistachios, tossing frequently until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and with a knife chop the nuts into small pieces. olden and they are very aromatic, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Compose the salad in a large serving bowl, combine the mix greens, sliced cherries, chopped nuts and sliced fennel. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the greens, add cheese and toss to combine.
- To serve, spread out the beet slices on a large platter, put the goat cheese on top, then sprinkle with the nuts. Finish with the chili flakes,l cilantro and drizzle the rest of the olive oil.