Chef Shaquay will show us how to bake a galette filled with fresh peaches and warming spices. Peaches are in season so it is a great time of year to get your hands on some peaches and make this dish! With warming spices like cinnamon, star anise, and ginger, this is a tasty way to welcome the transition from the end of summer into fall.
Tip: Make sure to follow chef Shaquay’s instructions to get the flakiest crust possible!
Spiced Peach Galette
Cooking Equipment Needed:
2 Mixing Bowls
Parchment Paper or Silpat
1 ½ pound, Whole Peaches- rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons, Ginger- grated
½ teaspoon, Ground Cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon, Ground Nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon, Ground Cardamom (optional)
¼ cup, Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons, All Purpose Flour
½ teaspoon, Salt
½ cup, Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup, All Purpose Flour (plus extra for surface)
2 tablespoons, Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon, Salt
6 tablespoons, Butter- cold & unsalted, diced into ¼ cubes
¼ cup, Cold Water
1 egg + 2 tablespoons of water- optional
1 tablespoon- Turbinado Brown Sugar optional
- Start with making the dough. In a mixing bowl, mix both flours, salt and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Add in diced cold butter and flatten cubes into disks as you mix with the flour.
- Slowly add in cold water and mix gently with hands. The mixture should form a scraggly dough. Form into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut peaches in half and remove the pits. Slice peaches into wedges- about ¼ inch thick. Place in the 2nd mixing bowl.
- Add in all of the spices, ginger, sugar, flour and salt to the peaches. Toss well but be gentle so you don’t break up the peach slices.
- After 30 minutes remove dough from the refrigerator. Unwrap dough and place on a floured surface.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin to a 6 inch circle. Fold dough in half, then in half again. Roll out dough again into a 9-10 inch circle.
- Transfer rolled dough onto a silpat or parchment paper lined tray. Arrange peach slices in a concentric overlay pattern starting an inch in from the edge. Spoon out all of the residual liquid over the peaches.
- Fold edges over onto peaches and crimp to make sure they stay. For a nice look brush edges with egg wash- 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons of water. Then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of turbinado brown sugar. Place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- In a preheated 400 degree oven bake galette for 50 minutes. To serve, wait 10 minutes to slice after taking it from the oven.