Follow along with chef Shaquay as she shows you how to take strawberry rhubarb jam and turn it into homemade barbecue sauce.
Along with the jam, we are adding tangy and savory ingredients such as onion, lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and mustard seed. After simmering all of the ingredients for 1 hour, blend together and you will have a delicious barbecue sauce that can go with your choice of protein.
Strawberry Rhu Bar-B-Q Sauce
Makes 1 quart
Cooking Equipment Needed
Glass Jar & Lid
2 cups Ketchup
1 cup Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
½ cup Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 cup Water
1 tablespoons Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper – to taste
½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika- optional
- In a heavy bottomed pot- saute diced onion, sliced garlic and olive oil on low heat.
- Once onions and garlic become translucent add in all remaining ingredients.
- Stir together and cook on low for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally.
- After cooking for an hour, turn off heat and let cool slightly for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour mixture and in a blender- blend until smooth.
- Store in clean/sterilized glass jars with lids. Once it comes to room temperature cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a month.